Northern Harrier

I was on my way past this marsh when unexpectedly this beautiful bird appeared. It was noon time just before a snow storm moving in but enough light was still remaining for a low ISO exposure. My New Years Resolution is to post more to learn more. I am always too intimidated to post after looking at all the amazing high quality photos here.

Specific Feedback Requested

My camera was not set for a fast moving bird fly-by when this Northern Harrier came across my shoulder. I shot anyway knowing I didn’t have much time. I like how the face did get the focus catch and I kind of am okay with the out of focus wing tips and tail feathers. . . thoughts?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D500, Nikon 5/6 fixed lens 500mm, exposure: 1/125 sec., F9, ISO220, Manual Mode with back button set to single focus point which I used on the face.

1 Like

Don’t be too hard on yourself - this is a creditable result for an unprepared situation. The visible motion in the wings is nice because it shows the unique flight abilities of the harrier. The exposure looks good and the colors natural. I’ve never seen a harrier IRL so I’m glad you posted this. You could have a go at increasing the exposure in the bird’s face and decreasing it on the far horizon.

We’re all here to get better and none of us is perfect - the give and take, ideas and advice on NPN will help you improve, so dive in and don’t be too shy.

One thing you could do for the next unexpected fly-by is to have a ‘wildlife’ mode if your camera supports custom modes. The other is to dial in auto-ISO for manual and then quickly crank the shutter speed. Or you could quickly switch to shutter priority and then crank the shutter if your ISO isn’t fixed. Just some thoughts.

Norma: A good effort since you didn’t have much time.

I don’t mind the blurred wing tips since you were able to get the head sharp. The angle of the bird flying away isn’t ideal, but the more you’re out there, the more likely you’ll get one flying at a better angle.

Here’s a version of the image with more light added to the harrier to try to bring more attention to the subject. This was done just using the latest masking stuff in LightRoom.

A couple of thoughts on settings. Since you had your 500mm on the camera, I’d always have the aperture wide open to maximize the shutter speed. Also setting the ISO below about 400 just doesn’t add any appreciable value to images. Cameras are so good today that for any chance of wildlife, there is no reason to go below ISO 400, again to try to buy more shutter speed.

Thank you Keith, great advice! I am mostly a bird photographer and believe me I am out there but have not mastered the bird in flight yet. My camera settings are ISO 100 on Manual and I do play with the shutterspeeds for bird in flight. Okay so I will keep it on Manual but I am now going to change to 400 ISO, and of course no less than 1200 shutter speed for bird in flight. Looking forward to the short earred owls arriving soon to the coast and hoping I can stop one in action. If you have any advise I sure would appreciate it. Not like you can use a tripod as they move so fast. Very helpful advise Keith, thanks again.

I like this. The head is nicely sharp, especially at 1/125 and the wing blur adds to the story. I also like the environmental aspect of the shot and how the colors complement the harrier. For what it’s worth, I shoot in auto ISO (this seems to me to be the variable that can best be fixed in post-processing), generally with the aperture wide open, and the shutter speed at 1/1000. I can adjust the shutter speed fairly quickly if necessary.

Thank you Allen, yes that is another very good option.

A wonderful and natural-looking capture in a great environment! The blurred parts don’t bother me at all, and @Keith_Bauer had a good suggestion for more light on the subject. I don’t mind that it’s heading away from you because of the lovely view of the tail.

When I’m out “hunting” I always keep the camera at the highest ISO I feel I can work with in post – usually 3200 with my R5, and wide open. If I stop to shoot something that doesn’t need a high SS, I have time to lower the ISO, but if something unexpected happens, I don’t have to scramble to change settings, which almost always means missing the shot. I don’t know your camera and don’t know how you process, but ISO 400 sounds too low. Noise reduction software has come a long way in the last couple of years.

Keep posting – this is a great place to learn! And commenting on other images is a great way to hone your sensibilities.

Excellent job getting the head as sharp as it is. The blur and the rest of the body adds to the energy in this image. Superb job on capturing the environment.