Northern Harrier hi-key landing

I like to try to capture the energy and motion of birds flying with slower shutter speeds. It’s a challenge for sure,. I heard a hawk in the distance, and then caught sight of this Northern Harrier.
The day was overcast so the sky was a dull white/gray, so I took some artistic license and added a bright vignette and radial filter to brighten the scene around this guy.

Specific Feedback Requested

I can’t do much about the stick on the right and the twigs, but thought this was passable because the face is clear and is more or less framed. I like the environmental aspect of this. Do you think the branches are a distraction?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
1/200 second, f/10, 500mm (on 1.5x crop sensor, so 750mm effective), ISO 100.

I don’t mind the branches and twigs at all, Mark. The branch looks like the intended landing spot and the twigs work fine, though I do wish the AF had grabbed the Harrier and not the twigs. A great dynamic pose.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank. That’s the challenge…to get that AF spot on! More practice for me.

At first glance, I thought “too bad about the branches”…but then realized they effectively frame the bird’s face and draw the viewer eye-to-eye. Nice effect!

1 Like