Northern Harrier

I was out looking for Savannah Sparrows and Yellow Throats when this fellow landed behind me. 5D4, 500mm, f/4, 1/1000, ISO 800, cropped to 90% and leveled. Processed in LR. I toned down one spot and the protruding plant behind the hawk.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

This is a nice shot of the Northern Harrier, but I really like the setting. The colors of the setting complement the harrier well and the two combined makes for a very pleasing composition. Well done.

David, I agree with Allen on this. His environment really does compliment him with the colors. The perch is really nice, and he just looks like he is in deep thought and could care less about you and the camera.

Excellent use of depth of field in capturing this northern Harrier. I like the color palette quite a bit as it seems to mirror that of the bird. Well composed.

Excellent. The harrier fits quite nicely into the habitat. Color scheme is perfect and the hawk has enough gray to pop out of the warm golden brown of the surrounding plants. Well done…Jim

Way to keep your head on a swivel! I love this comp. with a lot of empty space on the left. As others have noted, the color palette is fantastic. Bird looks nice and sharp. If mine, I’d probably try and clone out the sticks coming into the body of the bird and the stick that is curving around the bird’s body and head.

Fantastic shot. The bird blends in - colour wise - very nicely with the surrounding. Position of the bird in the frame is perfect. What I also like is that it seems to intently look at something on the ground, giving the impression it didn’t notice you. Love everything about it ! Cheers. Hans

Thank you very much for the comments everyone. They are much appreciated.
Dave