Marsh Hawk aka Northern Harrier

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any comments would be appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Again, any feedback is appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Taken with a Nikon D5 and a Nikkor 600mm f/4.0

Taken at F/7.1, ISO 280, 1/2500 sec at -0.67
(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) I did lighten and blur some background noise.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

Excellent, Cheryl. I always like head-on raptor shots and this is a beauty. Focus is excellent and I like the little bit of banking angle. Very well done.

Thanks Dennis. She was a cooperative and photogenic subject.

Hi Cheryl
Nice work, the focus, depth-of-field, coloring and eye contact are vary nice.
Peter

It looks like she has grabbed hold of something there. Really nice head on shot and I like that nice clean look at the tail. Interesting bg. Harrier must be flying over some water.

Always a treat when birds fly towards you. I love the inent look and the overall setting. DOF works perfect as well. Cheers, Hans

@peter, @David_Leroy, @Hans_Overduin Thanks all for your kind words. David, she was feasting on a snow goose carcass, when a Red Tail cruised past…enough to get her into the air for a circle or two. She again landed on the kill once more. Her talons are caked in blood and feathers… I almost posted one of her that you can see the talons instead. That is a shallow lake behind her, with some emergent vegetation. I did tone down the contrast between the vegetation and the water, so it would be less distracting.