In coming Harrier

I had just getting into position when this Harrier came flying towards me across the marsh.

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested:

How does the overall color look? I think it is pretty accurate for the day.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No
R5, 500mm, f/4, 1/2000, ISO 3200, Cropped to 52% of full frame. LR and Topaz Denoise AI for noise.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Excellent, David. Another great head-on image. I like your point of view on a level with the bird. The composition works very nicely, though if you don’t mind a little cloning, the dark seed head intersecting the top right frame edge does draw my eye. you could also consider dodging the dark weed at the bottom under the harrier.

A nice shoot-through! She does look like she’s going to take you out. I’d consider removing the two thin light strands toward the left side. Winter color is very pleasing, but there are options to tone down red/magenta a bit. All a choice.

500mm f/4 … sigh!!! As it gets darker, with some long-needed rain clouds, I’m going to start shooting my R5 with my 600 f/4, but that’s tripod only for me.

Outstanding! I like the head on view , the color, and the light. Well composed

Great head on look. I like how the harrier blends in with the background. Like a sepia photo. Too bad the right wing was blurred out by something in front of it. I could see a slight crop on the right.

Thanks @Diane_Miller, @Dennis_Plank, @Allen_Brooks, and @David_Schoen for the comments. they are always helpful. I don’t think I would want to crop any tighter but I certainly needed to have picked up on the few eye magnets.
Diane I always use my old clunky Gitzo tripod and Wimberly head when using the 500mm, rain or shine. It is just ss can be challenging for flight shots so I ditched the teleconverter.

My Wimberley is one of the many things I couldn’t live without, although now there are also other good gimbal heads. But I’ve been wondering how a fluid-damped cinema head would work.

This is awesome, I love the head-on look at the bird, but the surroundings are fantastic as well. Love it ! Cheers, Hans