Have a Berry Merry Holiday!

This was taken two years ago when I discovered Cedar Waxwings on a suburban sidewalk tree near a friend’s house. It was overcast with a very light rain, which made for a difficult exposure. But it was so exciting to find these interesting birds for the first time.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1DX2, 100-400 II 1.4X @ 560, ISO 3200, f/8, 1/400 sec. Probably on a tripod. Minimal adjustment in LR, a little BG cloning in PS.

4 Likes

Cedar Waxwings are wonderful subjects. A flock of them can clean the berries off a tree in a day. Having a clean background gives this fellow center stage, and catching him eating the berry makes it even better. It doesn’t get much better than this.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Pat

Excellent capture and card. Love the colors and the “moment”. Happy Holidays!

Wonderful Diane. The Cedar Waxing stands out so nicely against the OOF background. IMO you’ve handled the rain and overcast day very nicely… . and the red berries are the perfect addition. Great holiday greeting. Thanks for sharing with NPN.

Diane, this is a great look at this Cedar Waxwing eating a berry. The oof branches behind add nice context while the lighting and colors looks perfect.

Diane, I can see why you got excited about having an opportunity to photograph a Cedar Waxwing (I’ve not yet to had that opportunity). The red berries, and one in the beak, is really a nice touch. I can see a card with this on the front.

Thanks everyone! I see now I’ve overdone the red on the berries. I’ll add a Selective Color layer and tame them a bit. Years ago I discovered adding a bit of Cyan to red was much more effective than reducing the saturation (assuming they weren’t way over-saturated) and then a bit of yellow to taste. Works well for red complexions, too.

2 Likes