Cedar Waxwing with Hawthorn Berries + RP

A repost with a little more cloning:

And the original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another one from a few days ago. They have been scarce this year, coming in for maybe an hour then disappearing, and some day apparently not there at all.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 7.22.03 AM

Slight crop top and sides, not much done in LR except Shadows pulled up. Denoise in PS and a few errant branches pruned.

This will be our Holiday card.

1 Like

Nice job and a nice card, Diane. You really caught the moment and the lighting and ddetail are excellent.

Great image for a X-mas card ! You nailed THE moment :slight_smile: ! You could consider cloning out the shadows on the flank and coverts. Cheers, Hans

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank and @Hans_Overduin! I did think about the cloning, and had to try it – along with a few small stems. It was worth the effort! Posted above.

To tell the truth, I didn’t mind the shadow. I thought it was kind of cool. However the cleaned up version is also excellent.

Diane, perfect timing with this Cedar Waxwing juggling the berry up just right to go down the hatch. Wonderful capture. I like the card too. Wishing you the same. The cloning helped, but had I not seen that first I think I would still have been okay with it the way it was. It did improve the image though. We don’t ever see the Cedar Waxwing around here. They are a beautiful bird.

A nice composition; can see why you’d use it for your Christmas cards. The eye looks sharp, but there is a very slight blur to the berry and head feathers which conveys the action going on.

Thanks again, @Dennis_Plank, and @Shirley_Freeman and @Allen_Brooks! I have two more days with these guys before it starts raining too much to be out, and they are about to clean the tree. I likely won’t see any again until next December – there are too many places they can dine. I suspect the dregs in the vineyards are the main attraction and the area for about 100 miles is 50% vineyards.

1 Like

I like the repost, Diane. Love the Xmas card too.

Thanks, @David_Bostock! I like them both, too.