Have Mercy

I have been photographing the new crescent moon for almost 30 years. Trying to photograph the new crescent moon is what got me into nature and landscape photography in the first place. I go out each month to photograph it on the first day that it is visible. Sometimes I get snubbed due to clouds or other atmospheric conditions. Sometimes it is so thin that it looks like a hair in the photos. Other times, like this month’s moon, it is stark and just comes out screaming - “Look at ME!”

Have Mercy, Moon. You take my breath away each time you appear.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D850 in DX mode, Nikon 400 mm f/5.6 (in DX mode giving an equivalent 600mm), ISO 400, f5.6, 1/13 sec

Minimal adjustments in PS CS6, levels, contrast, color balance, and sharpening for web.

Photographed on October 7th, 2021, just after sunset.

@organic_light_photography @crescentchaser

A noble endeavour Youssef and this month has provided a great shot. It has a beauty and a truly etherial feel.

The clean air and clouds worked very well for you here! I also love trying to capture the smallest crescent but it’s so low in the sky that air pollution or thermal disturbance are usually problems for me.

Youssef, the clouds and subtle color changes in the sky make this view of the moon spectacular.

This is so beautiful, Youssef. I like the thin sliver of the crescent Moon, and the sky with the colors and clouds is gorgeous. Wonderful!