Hawks in the Backyard

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

For each image I was very fortunate that the hawks did not fly away before they flew away or went after the meal they were looking for. I must have a dozens of images where I was not able to capture the “look” in the eyes or the lighting was not right to illuminate the eyes.

Specific Feedback

The images were taken from our Kitchen window, from the inside, to minimize disturbing the birds. Any feedback on composition is greatly appreciated.

Technical Details

The images were all taken using a Canon 80D, with a Tamron 100-400 mm f5.6 lens at f11 or f8.

Ian, you clearly are doing a good job of “feeding all the birds”, as I like to say. Getting clear looks at the hawks is quite challenging and always exciting. The red eyes in the first view stand out nicely and it’s feet and claws show clearly. If possible, getting lower with your camera would separate the hawk from the land a bit more, but you’ve got good separation here from the depth-of-field. The spotlight effect in both #2 and #3 are good as well.