Hebridean Tones

Hebridean Tones

A weekend trip to South Uist and connected Islands on the outer hebrides last weekend, and the weather was challenging. We did manage a couple of hours between the rain & drizzle, so headed to a beach in Eriskay.

This is a first rough draft so happy for any & all thoughts. Also which composition is preferred?!

any technical or artistic feedback welcome?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

1/30, f13 at ISO 100 and 26mm. 2 image focus stack (although barely needed it to be honest, but wanted to ensure foreground seaweed was sharp as well as the island in the distance)

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Vikki,

Lucky for you there was a break in conditions to allow you to photograph this scene. The horizontal, by far, is the much stronger landscape image. Verticals work great for certain subjects, but in this case, the horizontal works best. Why? Because for one thing, the context of the plants in the water (have no idea what this is…) is showcased much better; where as in the 1st vertical, the open water area seems cramped on the sides.

Also, with the vertical, you do get more of the storm sky, but again cramped on the sides so you don’t get the full impact. The width of the horizontal really gets the broadness of the storm and expanse of the sea. Not sure if I’m making sense. The comp is strong in the horizontal with the near 1/3-2/3 proportions.

The ominous look in the clouds is great in the horizontal. I also like the turquoise showing up in the water as well. Processing spot on. Well done, you should be happy with this.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks @Lon_Overacker it’s seaweed & kelp which, whilst common in UK it’s something else entirely on the Scottish islands, just glorious. It occurred to me that it might be worthwhile cropping the sides slightly on the landscape version to balance it a little. I wasn’t sure if the pool and the distant mountain get a little bit lost?

I agree with Lon, the horizontal is by far my favorite, but it is helpful to see your alternative compositions. I don’t feel the horizontal needs a crop, but I’m sure 4x5 would work well.

Harris and Lewis are on my “bucket list”, hopefully within the next year or two.

1 Like

Vikki, for me scenes like this a horizontal is almost always the winner. Chief reason is that the various features of the shore are radiating inward, leading my eyes into the distance. And you also were fortunate to have stormy conditions, adding some drama. It reminds me of my memorable days canoeing in the Everglades. I think one thing I might do with the horizontal would be to reposition myself off to one side or the other, such that the little island and the shallows in the immediate foreground are diagonally positioned from one another. Also the clear, blue-green waters are very inviting, makes one want to wade around. Yeah, the horizontal gets my vote.

1 Like

Edit: Major grammatical corrections… like wouldn’t instead of would… hello?

Vikki,

I think a slight crop right/left could be worthwhile. I would just be careful you don’t go too far. And I’m saying in reference to the clouds. On the left, you could crop in and eliminate the darkest section of clouds, but I wouldn’t go further as I think you would want to keep the clouds closest to the horizon. On the right I would only “shave” off a little - much more and you’re cropping in to the kelp-covered rocks on the right. The “pool” could be enhanced with a slight crop - but I wouldn’t worry about the distant island - that’s fairly minimal in any version.

You’ve got a grand one to work with for sure!

Lon

1 Like

@Lon_Overacker @Bill_Pelzmann. @Bill_Leggett

Thank you for the feedback gentlemen. I appreciate it :+1:

Bill - Lewis &Harris are amazing. I get there every few years but we stay remotely and I don’t get chance for much photography as they’re family holidays. Although I did win the Scottish landscape photographer mono category with one from the northton salt marshes of Harris. On this occasion, we went to neighbouring islands instead which was nice because they were different but if I’m honest, didn’t hold a candle to Lewis & Harris.

1 Like

Lon once again makes some great observations. I can’t say anything original after reading them.
:vulcan_salute:

I also like the horizontal version the best, and part of it is the way the kelp beds radiate diagonally toward the little island. I can imagine a perspective from further left that creates more energy and directional diagonals, but I also like the placid beach with ominous sky as presented.
ML

1 Like

Hi ViLoki,

I like the 16:9 aspect ratio best. The circular pattern in the weeds are key for the composition for me.

Also, is the horizon level ? It appears to go up towards the right. It could be lens distortion.