Here's Woody

When I was out hiking the other day I was hoping to see a Pileated Woodpecker, knowing they had been spotted in the area, so I’m pretty happy with this, though the tail is cut off and probably could be a bit sharper.

Specific Feedback Requested:

I’m undecided whether to crop off the background on the left. Thoughts?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/1000, f6.3 ISO 2500

1 Like

I like this. These WPs are really hard to get in the open in my area. Color and pose are good. You could try to add some canvas to the bottom.

1 Like

Very good, Allen. I really like the composition (aside from the slightly clipped tail, which is very minor here). I’ve yet to get a shot I really like of this species, this is one I would definitely consider a keeper.

1 Like

I love Pileated Woodpeckers! Very nice closeup!

1 Like

I think this is a great shot, Allen. I would leave the BG on the left, personally. This is a tough shot to get. I have a Pileated that lives around here, and I have yet to get such a nice, clean shot in all my years of trying. They are very wary. Nicely done.

1 Like

Me, too, Terry. My local pair is VERY camera shy. Except when don’t have access to one. I was walking around the remote garage and there they were, parents and fledgling, on a log - I think the 'rents were teaching the kid where to forage. They stayed for a few minutes just 30 feet away or so and then one by one, flew off. And me just standing there gawking.

So congrats, Allen on a terrific portrait of an elusive bird! I believe it’s a female. and she’s giving you the eye.

2 Likes