Hermitage, Scotland

Always nice to know what others thing. This is from The Hermitage in Scotland autumn before last.

I’m really liking this. Looks like something out of our Pacific Northwest. I like the overhanging limbs framing the falls. Would like to see the water in the ravine but hey, can’t have everything.

This was a neat spot and at a great time. I’m on a little built stone platform with my back up against an arch bridge. You get to the spot by going through an arched path under the bridge. Would have loved to get a view up the ravine but would have needed a drone!

Oh this is wonderful in a creepy sort of way. All those tendrils coming in from the edges. This is an unusual case where the frame is as interesting as the main subjects. This would be good without the branches but they set the tone, don’t they? There’s not much to add. Maybe clone out that smidgeon of sky top center. I wouldn’t raise the darks I don’t think.

Thanks to those hanging branches, this image does have have an ominous look, in a kind of Lord of the Rings way. This is also one of those rare waterfall images where the waterfall is not the star of the show. However it works for me due to having all the interesting surrounding elements be dominant. The interesting colors, and textures of the surrounding environment are strong enough to carry the image for me, so nicely done. My only nit would be to clone away the tiny patches of bright white sky near the top edge of the frame.

1 Like

Thanks Ed, I don’t notice those anymore but will get rid of those tiny patches. I didn’t even know how to do that when I worked this photo! Luckily I’m trainable.

If you use Photoshop, just zoom in real close, use a tiny brush size and clone them away. The patches are small, but it should be relatively easy to do with out being noticeable. They are a very minor distraction, but bright stuff near edges carries a lot of visual weight.

If you don’t use PS, then Lightroom can clone too, but the PS clone tool is easier to use. Just zoom into 1:1 and use a small clone size.

Hope this helps.

I had meant that I didn’t know how to do it then. It’s one of the first things I learned in photoshop! Thanks again!

Hi
I know The Hermitage very well. Lived about 30 minutes from it for 20 years and visited in all seasons. You capture the mood and magic of the place very well. Most people just take a view from Ossian’s Hall but you have found a more interesting scene. I’m not bothered by the sky patches - personal taste to keep or remove. I think you would have lost some of the ‘middle earth’ mystery if you had included more of the waterfall. You have achieved a lovely balance of light, shade, colours and shapes. And the water flow leads my eye through the scene. Well done. A truly pleasing image.

1 Like

Lovely Jeff I always enjoy the Hermitage river side area. Delightful light, moss and feel to your picture.

Fantastic image and second what others have said above. As far as not seeing the water continue through the ravine, you might be able to strengthen the continued leading line and elude to the water below with some dodge/burn work along the edge that is in frame. I’m torn with suggesting a little screen-layer work to lighten the very bottom edge of where the water ‘would be’ as it’s right on the edge of the frame and would draw the eye down too much, but a little haze right where the waterfall disappears, foreground rock overlaps the background cliff face might be enough to give a feel of continuance where now is just shadow.

1 Like