He's Looking At You...

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Icelandic horses are a special breed of horses. Bred to survive in the most extreme weather conditions, their size belies their power and strength, yet they are kind and gentle, and enjoy the company of humans. Whatever you do, do not call them “ponies” to the locals. :slight_smile:

Specific Feedback

I am struggling with my monitor calibration; not sure how much the blacks are off…

Technical Details

1/60 sec, f/13, ISO 100, 150mm

1 Like

Very appealing shot, Fritz. It took me a moment to recognize what I was seeing. The large vignette works well here.

At first I thought the eyelashes were a bit sharpish but I think that was just the play of the reflected light.

Fritz, what a striking image this is. I like the full frame up close as you show here. It is very intense. The same goes for the strong vignette. It matches the dark BG on the right side of the frame. I do not see a problem with the blacks in the photo. The reflected light on the horse’s face gives it the impression of an over-sharpened image. This is a very impactful image.

The lighting is exquisite, Fritz. The black look fine to my eyes and monitor. Mostly I am drawn to the horses’ eye… .so thoughtful and sensitive.

So expressive. Like you’ve captured the soul of the horse. The lighting and composition are superb.

A captured soul indeed! Gentle, pensive and strong. Well done!

@Egídio @Don_Peters @Diane_Miller @linda_mellor @Chris_Baird , Thank you all for taking the time to comment. The connection with the horse while photographing it was quite special to say the least. I’m glad a bit of that comes through in the image. Again, thank you!

2 Likes

You Nailed it. Simple beautiful photo. Does it work in black and white. ??? The eye and the lashes and the tone is really nice.

Thank you, Gill; really glad you like the photo. I am a huge b+w fan, so I did a VERY quick b+w edit. For the image, I think it is the color contrast that really lets the eye pop. Thoughts?

Both ways work great. Black and white shows the soul in my opinion. It’s the simplicity and tone that draws me in.
Great photo.

Again, thank you!