Storm horse

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Out chasing a freak spring thunder storm this horse was watching. In a matter of minutes the light dipped under the clouds and the horse seamed to pose for a portrait.

Specific Feedback

I was leaning towards a dark almost black background but concerned it was to contrast. Would be interested in feedback on editing and light processing.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7ii
70-200 2.8

2 Likes

Hello Brian! Welcome to NPN! This is a beautiful image. I like how the horse is looking at you with such a gentle, peaceful look. I think your idea to make the background darker could make for a more dramatic image which could work. My only suggestion is that I would crop it a little from the left and the top. I’m sure others with more experience will have some good advice. I hope you’ll like it here and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Hi Brian !
Welcome to NPN !
Is it a wild horse?
It’s a handsome subject, looks quite healthy and image is technically good! Horse appear to be leaning towards right hand side, you may need to correct it.
Looking forward to more images from your portfolio.

I love horses, and this is such a stunning portrait, Brian. Welcome to NPN.

+1 on the crop from the top (there’s a little break in the trees right at the top right that I would crop too (as Vanessa mentioned).

I would add a bit of catchlight and perhaps more light (via a radial or linear gradient) from the right.