Hey! I'm David Johnston, ask me anything!

Hi Do you use backlighting in your work. That is something im working on in my nature photography ideas. always experimenting

real nice shots. you really caught that subtle beauty

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I love backlight for both sunrise and sunsets, but also for my small scenes like macro. I’ve been exploring more macro shots with my Lensbaby and shooting directly into the light with backlight behind my subjects has been very fruitful.

1 Like

Hi David - I just took another hiatus from social media and found that, as in the past, I am happier with my photography when I don’t have lots of other ideas/voices/photos floating around in my brain. I am wondering how this works with you and your podcast. Do you find that talking to other photographers ALL THE TIME is a mostly positive influence on your photography or do you need some breaks to allow space for your own ideas to percolate and break through the ideas you are hearing from others on a consistent basis?

By the way, I enjoyed your podcast discussion you had with your wife!

1 Like

Hey Sarah! Always great to hear from you. That’s a really good question. I have taken days off from social media recently, but never an extended time. I might try that actually. I also started putting boundaries around my socials. If someone gives me an unwarranted critique, I don’t just brush it off. I kindly ask them not to do that because it makes me feel like my photo isn’t good and I do social media for fun. But, I digress. Talking to other photographers all of the time is a double edged sword. On one hand, I do get great ideas from them on new techniques to try that have yielded some fun shooting and great photos. However, it also makes me rush through shooting some days and has me questioning if I’m doing things right. What has really helped is that before leaving a location, I will practice mindfulness for a few minutes. It helps me clear my mind and notice some of the unseen photos that I missed. That practice this year has recently produced some of my favorite photos I’ve shot in a while. While I’m still working on my own style (I think I always will be) I do have to constantly remind myself is that what other people are doing is not what I’m doing. Their journey is not my journey.

3 Likes

I just want to say thank you to everyone who asked a question. I had a blast answering, and I believe it led to some thought provoking ideas and exchanges. Keep shooting!

1 Like