Hi Mom!

Three nearly full grown GBH chicks ( the fourth is hunkered down) greet a parent who returned with food. I liked that the chicks were nicely separated and that the parent was presented against a clean background. Cropped to about 50% of the original size.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 1/2500, f/6.3 and ISO 1100

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A really cool capture, Richard! Great poses, as you mentioned and quite good detail, especially considering a 50% crop. Speaking of crops, a square crop might work quite well for this one as there is a lot of extra vegetation on the right side that doesn’t add to the scene.

Outstanding action capture. Detail, plumage exposure looks really good considering your lighting which appears to be later in the afternoon. Color is really nice. Expressions are priceless. Good job on the processing. I have a rookery very close to my house but there is no way I could have a vantage point this good. It is so overgrown and camouflaged. The result is we probably have over 30 great blue Heron’s in the rookery at any given time. In fact I have never seen a young Heron in all the time I have lived close to the rookery.

Yes it is nice that the three young ones are separated and also that they have lots of detail showing. And the incoming adult is also sharp. It is nice to see that you almost at nest level usually they are up high or hard to get close unless you are right under them. It is a dandy photo.

Hi Richard,

The three hungry youngsters are nice to have in the frame. You could snug up the crop too if so desired. A well crafted image…Jim

Very good, Richard. A difficult shot to get given the needed line-up and you took full advantage of it. Excellent depth of field and good detail in all four birds.