Great Blue Heron

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any.

Any pertinent technical details: I got this shot near Don Pedro Reservoir, CA with a Nikon D500, Nikon 2-500mm lens, 1/2500th, f/5.6, ISO 1400, 420mm focal, handheld. Cropped down to 1611 x 2014 from 5568 x 3712.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi, Dave - welcome!
You’re posting some really nice images! Sweet pose from this GBH. The whites on the head are a little hot, and I’d personally prefer more room on the left and bottom - but very nice detail and colours.
I’m sure you missed this in the guidelines, but we can post one image per Gallery in a 24 hour period.
:smile:
Sandy

I like the pose and the nest-type setting a lot. The background is very nice. You have some strong directional light, which didn’t help with properly exposing the crest. My first thought when I opened the image was that it was a little too tight. Loosening the crop all around would also help with the image quality.

This is just what I am looking for… someone that knows their stuff to give me some guidance. Much appreciated. I DO have a tendency to think “closer is better” when cropping but that can’t always be best. I intend to go back and play with it based on this and see what happens. Thanks, and thanks for the heads up on only one post a day. I got carried away!

Dave - You clearly have a great eye and technique, and have some excellent images to share with us - I’m really looking forward to seeing more! We are all here to learn and grow, and I’m very glad you’re with us - Sandy

I’m wondering if your focus point was on the body of the bird. There is more detail and sharpness on the body feathers than on the head. I do like that nest and other plant material in the frame. It’s an excellent, cocky pose with the breast and head feathers fluffed out. Definitely worth working on.

Such an adorable creature … and with quite an attitude. :slight_smile:

A beautifully designed photo – great light and a lovely background.

Great pose and color, Dave. The large crop seems like its just starting to show a little in the head area, but still a fine image with a nice composition.