Great Blue Herons

I wish all were in focus, but, at least for me, this was an unusual sight-more than one GBH in a shot. In fact, about a dozen or so GBHs flew towards me and by time I was in any position to photograph them they had dispersed with several landing on the railing and three were left by time I got into a position to photograph them.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Very busy, unattractive BG I tried to tame.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/1000 at f6.3; ISO 2000

1 Like

Nice that you got the three birds with the same pose. Looks good. I might do a little cloning work on the bg tree behind middle heron beak. Well done.

1 Like

A nice catch, Allen. I like the adult and juvenile in the foreground. A little separation between the adult and the background bird would be nice, but you were probably severely constrained and it looks as if clearing it would have moved the juvenile further out of focus. I really like the geometry formed by the railings.

1 Like

Thanks, @David_Leroy and @Dennis_Plank. Here’s a repost with more work done on the background.

1 Like

Very nice to catch the three together like that! Good work on the BG. If you were on a tripod you might have gotten away with a quick focus stack.

1 Like

I like this shot a lot, and the background fix looks real good to me. I have seen, and shot quite a few GBHs and have never seen even two together. I did not know that they ever congregated in any way. This is a keeper.

1 Like