Hidden Creek

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Too much habitat?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Beaver have built a dam on the creek exiting Hidden Lake to create this pond. Young trout take advantage of the grassy cover and abundant aquatic larvae and flying insects as this one is with a dragon fly in his sight.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II, Canon EF 70-200 mm @ 110mm; f/11 @ 1/160 sec, ISO 800; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 66; subject 13.8 m away; remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise.

Hi Bob, I was just catching up on older posts when your image caught my eye. You captured a nice critical action moment here, with the fish on the attack and water droplets evidence of his surge. Yes, would like to see more of the fish, if cropping allows, and just enough habitat to give a sense of place.

Thank you @Jim_Lockhart for your interest and suggestion. I am attaching a close-up crop of the original post. It becomes a bit soft at this size even though the original was 10x15" @300 ppi.

Sitting at my computer doing taxes, so happy for any diversion Bob :grinning:. Yes, like this one a lot more; the trout is much more visible and the center of attention; can see his eye. Plus, the dragonfly is more easily seen too; looks like he had two to choose from. Pleasing reflections of the reeds.

Thank you @Jim_Lockhart for your comments. I must confess I was there to photograph the pond, shoreline vegetation and look for beavers. I was aware of the dragonflies but surprised by the fish.