Skookum Lake Beaver

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Sense of his intent, motion, lack of intimidation?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

North American beavers (Castor canadensis) are found throughout all of North America except for the northern regions of Canada and the deserts of the southern United States and Mexico. They are the largest rodents in North America, and they spend most of their time in the water. Beavers are primarily nocturnal. They are only occasionally seen during the day, usually around dusk. To protect themselves from the cold and wetness they have waterproof reddish brown or blackish brown hair.
Interrupted in his daily routine by the photographer, this fellow spent a lot of time patrolling the nearby shore and slapping his tail to express his displeasure as well as to signal danger to his extended family.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 70-200mm + 1.4x @ 280mm; f/11 @ 1/100 sec, ISO 800; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55; remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you see, positive or otherwise.

This gives me a sense of peace as we watch the beaver going about his business on the pond. Nice you included a good amount of calm water for the beaver to swim into. The critical focus seems to be behind the beaver rather than on its head.

Thank you @Allen_Sparks for your comments. He is definitely not calm and peaceful. He was coming directly toward me. I was within his zone and he wanted to make sure I knew it. I see the vibrancy (widskers) and their reflection as sharp. His palage, because of the definite streaks from swimming, look sharp also.