High and Low

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The forecast was for a cloudy day, so I was not expecting to see the peaks when we got to this area. I was very thankful for that, especially since we just had a short time! However, I found the light very difficult and was disappointed in my photos from this (very beautiful) location.

It was pretty breezy, so I got down low with my tripod and tried some long and long-ish exposures both with light and “dirty bergs”. I liked this one with some motion in the water better than the smoother, longer exposures. Too long, and some of the ice bits moved. Also, it just looked flat milky brown in the longer exposures.

It was a beautiful walk, and the river was a beautiful aqua color with views most of the way - so still very worthwhile to have the experience and enjoy the scene with my senses.

Specific Feedback

If you couldn’t change the time of day, what other things might you have tried in midday light with a breeze in this type of scene?

Technical Details

24mm (full frame), ISO 100, 0.5s, f/14

I was using ND filters, but I’m not exactly sure what I had on for this image.

I cropped in a slightly, adjusted white balance, and lifted the exposure a bit. I used a style adjustment on the sky (Capture One) to bring more life to the sky, but dialed it back to 60%.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical: