High Flow on the Susquehanna

This was a pleasant evening in Susquehanna SP, MD along the banks of the Susquehanna River. The flow was somewhat higher than normal this particular evening as some of the gates were open on Conowingo Dam. I found this particular grouping of trees which I quite liked, especially the graceful curves as they bent skyward. The color version was not working for me as it was getting close to sunset and the far shoreline of the river was a band of unappealing yellow along with a bland sky so I decided to convert to B&W.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

There are a few OOF leaves in the upper third of the image. Do they bother you enough to take the time to clone them out?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 35-70 @ 44 mm, f11 @ 1/8 sec, ISO 100, MLU, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

There are some lovely tonal variation in those delicate leaves next to the darker trunks. I can see why you liked this so much. There are some nice crops in there as well.

I really like what you did to this with the B&W conversion. Because as I remember I was not too enthralled with the origianl color version. The leaves don’t bother me. Excellent work.

Beautiful shot, Ed. I love the detail in the bark that you were able to capture. The out-of-focus leaves don’t bother me at all - I would leave them alone. I don’t have any suggestions for this image - I think it’s great as it is. Nice job.

A very intriguing find Ed, this strikes a chord with me. The dynamic shapes of the trees create a lot of tension and energy in this image. High key images usually have a soft feeling, but I like how you mixed in the bolder trees to create contrast. The OOF leaves do bother me slightly, but they look like they would be a bear to clone away. As Igor noted, there are some nice alternative crops in here as well, one of them could focus on the bottom 60% and eliminate the OOF leaves.

Thanks guys @Igor_Doncov, @Michael_Lowe, @Mark_Ali and @Ed_McGuirk for taking a moment and leaving your thoughts. Glad everyone enjoyed the image. Here is a rework with one of the crop suggestions from @Igor_Doncov and @Ed_McGuirk.

@Michael_Lowe: You are correct about the color version as it was not working at all.
@Ed_McGuirk: Thanks for the crop ideas. I was not looking forward to trying to clone those leaves out.

4 Likes

This is a very striking image Ed. I was going to suggest cloning the out of focus leaves but the crop works well in my opinion.

Very graphic comp Ed. I like your re-work. The trunks grab my attention and hold it effectively.

Absolutely incredible capture, Ed, and a very wise choice to convert to B&W. There is a grace and elegance to the image that is wonderful. I much prefer your original crop.