High Stepping Snowy Egret

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This from Myakka River State Park on a mostly cloudy morning . These guys are fun to watch and they exhibit interesting poses.

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

1/2500sec, f/8, iso 400 , @450mm

1 Like

Lovely pose and beautiful light, Richard. It’s hard to tell for sure, but looking at the reflections, it appears as if the image could use a touch of clockwise rotation The right hand edge of the reflections should form an approximately vertical line. That said, this angle makes the egret’s pose look really regal. I don’t know what processing software you’re using, so I can’t give you specifics, but I think you could make the egret pop even more if you brought up the darker areas a bit. A curves adjustment area applied just to the egret would do it or in a raw editor, you could increase the exposure and pull down the highlights to avoid blowing the brighter whites. Once again, I’d just apply it to the egret, not the background. Despite all this blathering, it’s still a beautiful image as posted.

Hi Richard, I always love seeing this elegant bird especially with a look at the golden feet (or foot in this case). I like the subtle lighting as is but playing with the shadows may be worthwhile to check out. The bird seems to be slightly angled away from us but that is a very minor nit. A fine capture of a real beauty. Thanks for sharing.

The light on this one is just superb. Excellent detail and a very adventurous pose showing some dynamic issues in the image. The colors are perfect. Not much I would do differently.

Thank you Dennis for your suggestions. I’ll try your suggestion about the exposure of the egret. I frequently underexpose white birds by a stop or so to keep feather detail from blowing out. That may have been the case for this shot.

Thank you Allen for your kind words and suggestions

Thank you David for your kind words