Snowy Egret striding

Snowys move from place to place more than almost any other large wading bird. I think they must like to show off their yellow spats.:slightly_smiling_face:

This was a bit pushed at 1000 ISO, requiring some light to medium noise reduction. Since it was a very overcast day, there was very little in the way of darks needing heavy noise reduction.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I used the move tool to take out heavy clumps of vegetation in the far BG, then a tilt/shift blur to even it out further. Does this look real to you?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any and all

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera Info: Nikon D500, HH
Lens: VR 300mm f/4E +1/4x TC
Focal Length: 420mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 25 points
VR: ON
Aperture: f/7.1
Shutter Speed: 1/500s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 1000
53% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2019, Camera Raw filter, Topaz Studio, TK sharpen for web @ 50%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I think the exposure works pretty well on this image and I really like the environmental context. It really shows well the natural habitat of these snowy egrets. Tough exposure with respect to some of the whites but for the most part you got a lot of detail.

The timing of your shot is impeccable Phil. I much prefer this to static poses, and the position of the raised foot is just right to convey a sense of motion. A fraction earlier or later in the stride would lose that sense, I think.

The background looks fine to me, Phil. Before I read this I was going to comment that as messy as the water looks, I really like the foreground part of it-it has a very col metallic look. Exposure and detail in the egret look fine. I like the raised leg.

I agree with Hank that the timing on the foot is perfect. I like the slight head tilt, it appears the egret has spotted something. The foreground and mid-ground elements gives a nice sense of environment, but I might consider removing the debris above the egretโ€™s head as it tends to draw my eye.