Hippo Pool

Hippos in their hundreds massed together . Dead and alive together , and what a smell

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

It was awesome to see these huge creatures somehow could coexist in a confined space. Ligth was harsh, but thought the scene was something

Technical Details

2 Likes

I really like the tight crop Trym it accentuates the somewhat cramped conditions! I also like the almost monotone colour pallet, it allows the little bits of pink on the ears and eyes to contrast very nicely.
Not sure about the vignetting though, did you introduce this?
So where was it?

This is one reason I’m on this site…to see things I may never see in person. Happy that the smell doesn’t come through! :frowning_with_open_mouth: This is a cool image Trym, and really demonstrates how they like to mass together in mud baths (to cool off I believe). Composition and lighting look good to me and enjoyed the detail on the enlargement. I’m guessing the vignetting was done in post, and I can take it or leave it, but that’s just my opinion. Nice job!

Really neat image - I like the hippos filling the frame giving us the chance to explore each face. I think the image would be better without the vignette.

Thanks for comments. Somehow I did not notice the vignetting when posting. Agree it is better without