No incursion

Hippos are very territorial and protective of their territory. They do not like any incursion in their territorry. We were in Okavango Delta, going through channel to an island for walking wildlife spotting. On the way, we came across a pod of hippos, this one did not like our presence. He started thursting his head from side to side and hurling water, showing his power. We left the area but he followed us for few hundred yards, till we docked our boat . Luckily, he retreated and did not follow us on land.

Type of Critique Requested

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I think there is not much I could have done differently, composition wise or technically. Not sure if the muddy water in left lower corner is distracting and what I could do about it.

Technical Details

1 Like

A good capture Sanjiv, the flying water on the right conveys the power of the hippo well, and the classic wide open mouth is very aggressive (although they often yawn!).
I think that I would like to see a bit more of the scene, is this tight crop in camera or in editing?
I’m okay with the muddy water that you refer to, it doesn’t distract for me.

Love the blasting action and water spray from this young Hippo !
You may include fore ground, if you like.

Thank you for the critique.