Hippo

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

You should never get between a hippo and the water. It makes them grumpy.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

David: Wow! A unique and dramatic photo and hopefully you were a good distance away when taking this. The head on shot, the dust and seeing the inside of the mouth with those large teeth make a compelling image. Richard

It looks quite close and scary too.
Back light, flying dust and open mouth make it very dramatic! Not sure how much crop is this but if you have some more space around the Hippo, especially at the bottom, it would help the image.
If you prefer to post techs along with the image, it would help understand the picture better.

Jagdeep Rajput

Looks like a “get me out of here” moment, David. The details in the open mouth are great, the dust and other flying debris add nicely to the drama. Some burning-in of the highlights on the back at the top of the frame would put more emphasis on the eyes and mouth.

Thanks Jagdeep. I am still trying to adjust to the new format and failed to include my techs. 7D2, Sigma 150-600mmC@150mm, F8, 1/320, ISO 1600, handheld, full frame. Yes he was way to close. The guides consistently placed us much closer to dangerous animals than I felt comfortable with. Dave

1 Like

Great action with the raised foot and open mouth, Dave. A very compelling image, as noted by others. If this was taken at 150 mm, they certainly did have you too close.