Hollyhock

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

. An interesting composition : blooms
facing in different directions
. The overall softness of tones
. Lighting that provides optimal
visualization of detail

Creative direction

I am trying to create an authentic representation of natural beauty

Specific Feedback

Technical
Conceptual
Emotional

Technical Details

This was an unexpected opportunity. I used my IPhone 11 Pro Max.
It was a very bright sunny day and the automatic settings were :

f1.8
1/7,770s
ISO 32

Description

These delicate pink Hollyhock blooms interested me because of the soft tones and large flower heads oriented in 3 different directions. I used a soft green background in keeping with the natural setting.

1 Like

James, you picked a beautiful subject and the IPhone (and you) did a good job isolating the flowers. The only thing a bit unusual to my eye is the lack of stalk - it looks like you removed the plant’s support to highlight the blooms (?). This is artistic - but not to my eye authentic. That said, I do like this very much. It would also be a good subject for a stack, so that the centre of the main bloom is all in focus. Just a suggestion for an alternative. I also like the colour contrast of blooms and BG very much.

Hm. This is another one that just looks too forced for me to take it seriously. Maybe you don’t want me to. The completely artificial OOF bg and the floating and overly bright flowers just don’t do it for me. I guess I’m too literal.

Thank you for your helpful comments, I will keep them in mind going forward.

I certainly don’t want to force my images. I will certainly keep what have said in mind going forward
Sincerely, this is very helpful.
Thank you

I missed this image when it was posted, but it caught my eye while I was scanning down the list of posts. Looking at the larger version, though, the IQ of the iPhone is disappointing, and lacks the ability of a raw file with a regular camera for tonal adjustments. I looked at your portfolio and see I also missed your initial post, so I want to add my welcome.

There are many talented flora and macro photographers here and I think you will enjoy and benefit from their company.

Thank you for the welcome and for your comments