Homestead

This was one of the most photographed abandoned homesteads in Oregon until a wildfire a few years ago burned it down. I was able to photograph it one time in 2016. I was fortunate to catch the sun coming up creating a nice shadow of the tree on the face of the homestead.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5DS R, EF 24-70 f/2.8 II, 1/15 Sec @ f/16, ISO 100, tripod, Polarizer.

Re-Processed in Capture One 21.

Great old place and excellent image of it. Even in the light, it looks appropriately bleak. Surprised it burned down. It doesn’t look like much to burn around it.

High winds took the fire right towards it…

What a really neat old relic. This isolated view is wonderful. Sad to see something this photogenic fall prey to destruction of any sort but fire seems to do the most damage in the end.
I have a scene of an old homestead with the Grand Tetons in the BG from years ago. But apparently shortly after my visit and photo op it too fell to a prairie range fire.
Gosh, who would be the keeper of these old historical images?..sigh !

1 Like

Boy, that shadow really adds a whole other dimension to the scene. I absolutely love it. Sad the building isn’t there anymore. I’m so glad you caught it, and with this light and shadows.

By the way, can you imagine living here? I don’t see anything all the way to the horizon. Not sure what was behind you or to the side, but what a awesome place to live, way out in the “middle of nowhere”, but absolutely in the middle of heaven on earth.

Where in Oregon was this?

Wow this was a great place. Many of the things others have said is why I go out to hunt and photograph abandoned places. One of my favorites that I literally passed by for years before seeing has succumbed to the elements and is no longer standing. Luckily I did take some time with it and have recorded its last recognizable presence.

The shadow is a great addition. As is the tree, the only one for miles it looks like. A lonely house, a lonely tree. Thanks for sharing this one. You’ve inspired me to dig through my archives…and stick season is upon us so…

1 Like

Mark this was in Dufur, Oregon, near The Dalles. It really was in the middle of nowhere. Behind me was another field like the one behind the house.

Here’s an article on the house and the fire: End of an Icon

1 Like

Thanks to all for the nice comments. I wish I could have spent more time with this relic.

Cheers,
David

Thanks very much for this article and location. I grew up in Portland and only occasionally made it to The Dalles.

It’s wonderful you captured this relic so well before it was lost. The lone tree and the shadows are so compelling. An excellent choice for the stark B/W treatment!