Hondoo Arch

At the end of a bumpy drive down dry creek beds behind Utah’s San Raphael Reef, you come to Muddy Creek and can see Hondoo Arch. (Hondoo is the Spanish name for the loop at the end of a lariat.) The weather was getting threatening, so this was a fairly quick shot before heading back. The light was diffuse and the scene was flat, so a lot of dodging and burning added contrast and interest.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon Digital Rebel XTi (8mp) 1/400 sec f/8 40mm ISO 100

You had some great light for this image. Lots of detail in the wall and a good sky to go with it. The composition is pretty good as is. There seems to be interest at the top and at the bottom with less in between. Both the upper and lower halves make good images. But it’s fine as is. The greens feel a bit strong while the reds, although saturated, seem fine. You could play with the greens a bit.

Dick, the arch is pretty neat, and I like the composition. The trees really add a nice sense of scale to show how impressive this formation really is. I also like your use of diagonal lines here.

That was my initial reaction too. I think you could create more interest in the center if you played with trying to get a bit more color separation between yellow and orange, I think it would put more emphasis on some of the diagonal lines and texture in the middle of the formation. Push the yellow more yellow, and less red, and the color contrast would maybe add more interest in the center.

1 Like