Three Arch Rocks

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Foreground too dark?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

On foggy, cloudy days, a massive silhouette, encircled by ocean, transports your imagination to times past. Three Arch Rocks National Wildlife Refuge consists of three large and six smaller rocks totaling 15 acres, yet is one of the smallest designated Wilderness Areas in the country.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D; Canon EF 16-35 mm @ 25mm; f/22 @ 1.3 sec, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55, remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise.

1 Like

Hey Bob, thanks for sharing, looks like a fun place to visit! For me, I would say the foreground is a bit dark (just my personal taste). I also think you could crop it into a bit more of a panorama to remove some of that darker area and get just a bit closer to the brighter whites/reflection in the center. I like the action in the waves and a panorama may help the viewer move across the image from left to right exploring that detail a little more closely.

Thank you @David_Wallace for your generous comments and suggestions. I kept that image as shot as I found the lines streaking toward the foreground to be exactly what I wanted to portray on that dark morning. In fact, I was a step or two ahead of you in the field. The atmospherics and light made many impressive changes that morning, including a rainbow. I specifically shot a panorama extending across to the right to include the other, smaller rocks. I will post that image today separately.