Honeycomb tide

I was out at my local beach on the Pacific Ocean during the middle of the day with full sun. I planted myself and tripod on the edge of where the tides were coming in and pointed my camera straight down. As the tide came in and out I tried to capture the way the light was reflecting through the water and the movement of the water and sand. After experimenting with a few shutter speeds I settled on a fairly fast one (1/250 s) and this was on frame that resulted. I have another frame that I like as well that I will post another time.

Specific Feedback Requested

While processing, I pushed the white balance a bit cooler to emphasize the shadows and did some contrast, sharpening, and color grading work to further separate the light and dark tones. The outcome, particularly the shape/form, reminds me of honeycomb. I am curious if any one has a different take.

Technical Details

4 Likes

Dean,

Wonderful! Love these mosaic abstract patterns! The faster shutter speed works great to capture the crisp details of the sparkling water and patterns.

Great job on the processing too. I think you chose wisely with the cooler shadows - and the shadows compliment the warmer mosaic lines.

You’ve filled the frame just right. I have no nits or suggestions!

Lon

Dean, such fascinating patterns and awesome work on photographing this dynamic scene. I like your decision on pushing the colors towards the cooler spectrum. The patterns remind me of scales on a lizard perhaps but I do see the honeycomb shapes too. Great job!

VERY cool!! I love the dynamic wiggly shapes and that some of them have little lines in them and some have a dot like texture. The colors are gorgeous with the soft gold highlights and muted blue shadows – a classic split-tone effect.

Very nice Dean! Does a great job of capturing that water effect.

Thank you @Lon_Overacker @Alfredo_Mora @Diane_Miller and @Diane_Miller. I like hearing about all the different interpretations.