Sand patterns

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My first destination this day was to a field of flowers but the light was not complimenting the scene well at the time I got there so I moved on to my local beach. I came upon these intricate patterns left by the tide.

Specific Feedback

I decided to compose to have the overall direction of the patterns be diagonal to emphasize a sense of movement. I also decided on a “standard” focal length to showcase an overall pattern rather than any detailed section. Effective choices?

Technical Details

I ended up appling a black and white treatment and then reintroduced a bit of the natural yellow color in the mid-tones/highlights and blue in the shadows with PS photo filters. This helped even out the exposure levels on some of the edges.

3 Likes

Dean, the pattern is very attractive and you’ve got a good sense of movement as the floq lines angle across the frame. This large view works well.

Thank you, @Mark_Seaver.

This turned out to be a great plan B, Dean. The diagonal placement of the sand patterns works beautifully and imparts a nice sense of motion to the scene. I also like your processing here. My only suggestion; and this is being very picky; would be to dodge the LRC just a touch to even out the tones with the rest of the scene. Great eye to spot these patterns.

Thank you, @Ed_Lowe. Good catch on the LRC.

I also do a lot of sand patterns, and this one caught my eye right away. Lovely abstract, and the b&w treatment with shades of grey is very nice.