On the Beach

I was struck by the patterns in the sand on this Oregon Beach at low tide. There were scattered small rocks that had washed up, but one particularly stood out

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

The patterns in the sand, while interesting, are not repetitive. Is it too chaotic? Does the stone detract or add to the scene?

Technical Details

f/10 ,1/160 sec. iso 200, at 62 mm

1 Like

Love the simplicity, Richard. The patterns are unique and have an individuality to them, but at the same time, since they are all drawn in the same direction, a sort of uniformity to them. Not sure that makes sense, but they are not to chaotic for me. I love the feel of quiet motion and the rock is a nice touch. Very nicely seen.

This is lovely, @Richard_Duckworth , just lovely. I especially find the subtle colors in the sand patterns something that keeps me busy while also taking time to jump back to the stone. “Is it too chaotic? Does the stone detract or add to the scene?” Personally, I’d not change a thing, and that from someone who has made many images of sand on beaches around the world!

1 Like

Richard, this is perfect. Everything about it is awesome. The placement of the rock in the frame, the wonderful textures in the sand. Wow. Don’t change a thing. Print, frame, hang, and enjoy.

I rather enjoy this image, and that includes the patterns in the sand and the contrast of the cooler toned rock to the warmer tones in the sand. It’s a simple image, and that’s a big part of why it succeeds, IMHO. Beautiful!

Thank you @linda_mellor @JohnSnell @David_Bostock @Bret_Edge for you kind comments

1 Like

Richard,

Great scene, great eye to catch and compose this. Personally, I like the placement of the rock and whether intentional or not, I like the near-Rule of thirds composition. And while I agree rules are meant to be broken and one should never blindly follow them, I think the rule of thirds is a basic compositional concept that folks should at least consider (again, not blindly follow)

Anyway, love the patterns in the sand and especially as you mention not necessarily repetitive, but as Linda commented, a sort of uniformity or consistency in those patterns. Very cool.

The level of blue in the rock is of course subjective and in the realm of personal choice - and since I wasn’t there, I’m gonna go with this looks quite natural! And of course great color contrast between the browns and blue.

Well done. No nits or suggestions!

Lon

@Lon_Overacker thank you for the kind words

Richard,

Congratulations on an excellent photograph. There is much to love about this image; The balance between warm, earthy sand and the complimentary blue pebble, The composition and placement of the pebble and the natural tones.

For me what I find really great about this image is that it has the quality I like most in abstracts. All photographs should tell a story, but an abstract should free the imagination. There are multiple narratives to be derived from this image. Is the pebble fixed and the sand rippling past? Is the pebble being transported by the sand? The blue pebble could be a portal to the sky or another world appearing fleetingly in a swirling, sandy eddy. There is much to meditate on here all combined with the tension that this is all temporary and will be washed away with the next wave. Well done.

@Paul_Dileanis. thank you for taking the time to post your words of encouragement