Pebble on Colourfull Sand

repost

Image Description

Just a little walk on the beach today

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

C/C welcome

Technical Details

Nikon D810
Tokina 24-70

3 Likes

Hi JoĂŁo,
what a beautiful small scene. A great result for “Just a little walk on the beach today”.
These textures of the sand make me want to take off my shoes and walk on the sandy beach myself.

I really like this pebble and how it’s placed between these dark sand patches.

There are two details that make me think about whether they bother me:

1. The little green thing at LLC of the picture, probably algae, distracts my eye a bit.
  2. The dark patch of sand at the URC. On the one hand, it’s shape is leading into the frame. But I think it distracts my eye also.

Have you thought about a different crop? I would love to see a little bit more space at the top of the frame. Maybe it is not possible and you cropped the image like this on purpose.

I was curious how your picture looks with a different crop. So I couldn’t resist and downloaded your image to try something out (I hope you don’t mind).

I just removed the litte green alga and provided some space at the top of the image. The space was generated in PS with content-aware fill, just to find out how the image would look.

Again, a great picture that makes you want to go for a walk on the beach. Well done!

3 Likes

Nicely seen, JoĂŁo. This is a wonderful intimate scene. Well done with the processing too. Awesome.

Hi Joao - The sand pattern to the right of the stone looks like a comet tail. I am enjoying the textures and colors.

This image is all about texture and the appearance of movement. I agree with @Eva_McDermott that the sand patterns to the right of the rock appear to be a comet tail. I very much like what @Jens_Ober did by adding some canvas to the top of the frame. It is a major improvement I think and makes the image more balanced.
I also see 3 volcanoes making this look like Iceland from above or Mt. Haleakala in Hawaii. OK. My imagination is taking over now.
This is a very creative take on your part, Joao.

1 Like

JoĂŁo,

Wonderful, intimate scene from the beach. The texture and details are amazing - amazing just coming from viewing @Bonnie_Lampley 's “Beach on a Beach” image just posted in Abstract. The grains of sand - the texture and the colors you’ve rendered are beautiful.

Other than cloning out that tiny piece of moss or something that Jens mentioned, I can’t think of anything that could improve this. Beautifully seen and presented.

Lon

JoĂŁo, I appreciate your image a lot. There is an appealing tension to my eye, given by the contrast in color as well as in texture between the pebble and sand. The subtle lighting at the edge of the pebble finally just makes all the difference for me.

My only suggestion would be to get rid of the tiny green patches. Otherwise I would not change anything, Thanks for sharing.

PS: my wife and I are looking forward to visiting Portugal in May. We will certainly take many walks along the coast.

1 Like

@Jens_Ober , @David_Bostock , @Eva_McDermott , @David_Haynes , @Lon_Overacker and @Peter_Richter

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
I just upload a repost with a very slightly different crop; i did fix an issue I had with the previous version so the crop wasn’t that big - It give some more breathing room on the top.

I did not move in the green algae (there are two, one on each side of the picture). I did gave it some thought and decide to keep them.