Sea Shell in raging sea

a small shell with some sand patterns created by the sea

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

C/C welcome

Technical Details

Nikon D810
Tamron 24-70

4 Likes

Great texture and colours and agree the shell does seem swept up in raging sea. I wonder if you tried black and white and different shell positions? Not that it would necessarily improve, but curious about the process.

Beautiful lighting, JoĂŁo. I love how the lines/textures in the shell are in harmony with flow of the sand. Great shot!

What a beauty !! Everything in one direction. Very well chosen placement of the shell. An image to print big. Just OK.

1 Like

Wonderful image, Joao. It does seem like a stormy sea that the little shell is caught up in. Everything is going in the same direction so there is no tension with the angle of the shell which works quite well. I would like to see a black and white of this. Not sure if it would work but I think it might have potential. Such great texture and lines in the sand.

Joao, this photo immediately drew me in. I’m always fascinated by textures in the sand and the lighting in this one really highlights that.

I like the idea of the sand patterns being raging waves. The diagonal geometry helps emphasize that kind of energy. Very nicely composed.

JoĂŁo,

Beautiful. Wonderful patterns in the sand and the slightly cool tones contrast nicely with the warm shell - and that shell anchors nicely.

I’m not quite sure I get the “raging” sea. Comments so far suggest the patterns in the sand are mimicking the waves and raging sea… or is the patterns left by the sea that was raging? It matters not really, but those patterns in the sand give me a gentle feeling of the slow rise and fall of the tides, nothing raging for me. and that’s ok, I’m able to immerse and enjoy this intimate scene very much.

Lon

Thank you all for your comments;

@CharlesV - First I decide the position I would have the sand patterns. It seems natural to me to this framing; then i decided where to place the shell (I mean moving the camera around the shell). It took me some time to check all the borders and corners, and finally end here.

@CharlesV and @David_Haynes - I’m clearly a color guy, I love the low and warm light and the contrast with the blue shadows. Never think of it as Black and White.

@Lon_Overacker - actually is kind of both; the sea must be raging to get this far on the beach but , visually, it feels like a raging sea with a small shell resisting the tide…

1 Like