Hope goes out

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

For another WC I offered up a bit of low tide art that I took looking basically straight down, but for this bit of seaweed I needed a different perspective. My camera spends a lot of time basically on the ground so this is not new to me, but getting the background right was a bit of a task. I wanted to have it be blurry, but not a total smear. This is my compromise.

Specific Feedback

Is that line of beach wrack too distracting?

Technical Details

Handheld

Basic edits in Lr including a crop and probably a lot of texture and work to manage the contrast.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

Love the colors and detail in the seaweed and your perspective, Kris. The beach line works for me simply because it put the seaweed in its environment. It is also subtle enough it still lets the seaweed take center stage. Approximately how large would you say the seaweed was? It feels like it was huge!

1 Like

What a cool little seaweed sculpture you found on the beach Kris. I really like the translucence in the greens in this one. Great low POV.

Thanks @linda_mellor & @Ed_Williams - finding an isolated bit of seaweed was challenging, but luckily my friends and I had time and wandered wide. We had bright overcast conditions that helped “light up” this little bit which was maybe 2 inches across. Not big at all, but the lens gives it that feel. Glad the line works for the photo. I like the context it provides.

1 Like

Very nice!! The BG is perfect, both position in the frame and focus. The seaweed is wonderful!!

Probably would be possible in a situation like this to get the lens even lower by digging a shallow hole for the camera to allow the base of the lens to rest right on the sand! (But probably not best idea here as the BG would have intersected the subject.)

1 Like

I do not think so. It is subtle enough and the subject has so much texture and color that it holds the eye. I find this a very strong compostion. It makes me smile for some reason. I wouldn’t mind having this hanging on my wall.

Thanks @Diane_Miller & @Barbara_Djordjevic - seaweed is pretty darn great sometimes and I’m glad I was able to put this together. That’s a very nice thing to say about hanging it on your wall. :blush:

I like this. The separation both by focus and by space work well. I think the background line adds to the image because it connects it to the location. I’m sure a minimalist image without it would also have been nice, but I like the context. I think the amount of blur works well.

I was guessing it was a small subject, but I would not have guessed 2”. :blush:

Thanks @karlag - yeah, I did a bunch of more minimal images on this walk, but somehow the orientation of the seaweed needed this angle of view. Glad that the beach detritus was spaced well enough to make the photo work.

1 Like

This is gorgeous, Kris. I love the light coming through the bit of seaweed and its wonderful shape. The line of sea wrack just fills the scene out and certainly isn’t a distraction.