Twisted

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taken at Newport Beach during a photo workshop along the Oregon coast. The shape of the seaweed and the shadow caught my eye.

Specific Feedback

Shadows fascinate me. However, they are sharpest in bright sunlight. Do you find the harshness of the light distracting? General feedback in all areas is welcome.

Technical Details

Taken with my Sony a6400. ISO 200, f/8, 1/40 sec.
Basic adjustments of exposure in LR. Then, it is processed in PS using TK9 luminosity masking.

This looks pretty good to me Barbara. I love the shadows in this one, especially the curves on top. You could try to reduce the highlights and the whites in LR a bit more if you think it is too bright.

Thanks, Ed. I am unsure about changing it now, but I will consider it.

Barbara, this is a striking look at this seaweed. (I was thinking driftwood from the thumb, but on further viewing…) I think the high contrast works well and fits the subject. The arching shadows, especially along the top are a key element in making putting the viewer on the beach enjoying the early/late day views.

Barbara - Like Mark, I also thought this was driftwood at first glance. Now that I know it is seaweed, I find it even more interesting. The shadows and the texture of the sand are really nice. I don’t find the light to be too harsh at all for my taste. I think it’s a wonderful image as is.

Your feedback is appreciated, @John_Kilgour and @Mark_Seaver. I was a bit concerned by the sharp contrasts and brightness of the overall scene.