House hunting

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Every spring the Hoodies and Woodies (shown here) fly madly through the yard looking for nesting sites. Since they are cavity nesters that can’t make their own cavities, they rely on woodpecker nests and boxes provided by humans. We have one of each in the yard and the race is on - who will get what? Many flap by for just a look, some hop into the nest and fly out again. There’s a lot of banter and chatter … location, location, location! The females choose and the males stand aside and watch, but never go far.

When I noticed these two checking things out I grabbed the camera, the long lens and opened the window to shoot straight out into the trees. It was mid-May so we had leaves, but could still get this view to them. I have video and they kept up a constant patter between them which you can see here. Who doesn’t love ducks in trees?

By the time a female chooses, settles, lays and incubates her eggs, the male is long gone and the leaves have filled in so I never know who got what. If I’m lucky I’ll see proud momma with her brood on the water later on.

Specific Feedback

Thoughts about processing etc., are welcome. Maybe next year I’ll get another opportunity like this, but I doubt it!

Technical Details

Handheld w/camera braced against the window frame

Lightroom for basic processing including a crop and the usual S-curve, Topaz Sharpen AI to bring up detail. Nothing too drastic.

What a wonderful mix of shoot-through and soft BG, with the ducks so nicely framed! Perfect light! This should go into a contest!

Thanks @Diane_Miller - it was serendipity for sure. Right place, right time, right gear, right experience to get this. Maybe the Hoodies will pose for me next year. :crossed_fingers:

Kris: Don’t you wish you spoke duck? What a great scene and story. Marvelous that you got a relatively unobstructed view of their heads and what a beautiful pair. For me a superbly pleasing and crafted image.>=))>

Thanks @Bill_Fach - seriously, these guys were chatty and I wish I did understand them. Luckily nesting and mating season starts when the leaves are still small and you can still see them perching and flapping madly through the yard.