Wood Ducks at Home-A Cartoon

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve never seen a Wood Duck nest, so this was a great experience to see the parents at the nest. The images were taken at Magee Marsh. The tree must have been 60-80 above the ground. The limb was quite exposed and there were two eagle nests in the area, so I’d be concerned that these ducks were in some danger. The images seemed to tell a story, so I added some captions for fun.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-700 with 1.4 TC. All but the first image were taken with the in-camera 1.6 crop factor engaged. I was impressed how well it did. 1/400 at f10 .

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

So great!! I love the sequence although I believe that this is house hunting. So far as I know, males have nothing to do with raising their young apart from possibly feeding the female while she broods. She also may be scoping another duck’s nest and will lay her eggs there, leaving that mother to raise them. That’s why you sometimes see wood duck females with enormous rafts of babies behind them. I wonder if they will choose the site given the proximity of the eagles. Ducks are tasty. Excellent storytelling here and I think the exposure and processing work really well - dramatic, but with enough realism that I feel connected to the goings on. Bravo.

1 Like

This is really cool, Allen. I like the sequence of images and the captions are great.

1 Like

Very interesting, Allen. good story telling .

1 Like

I’m glad there’s space on NPN for fun stuff like this.

The textures are great, btw.

1 Like