Wood duck female and ducklings

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw these ducklings at the state park pond earlier this week. Not the best conditions for photography as it was really overcast. But I rarely get to see wood ducks let alone ducklings so I thought I’d share.

Specific Feedback

I tried to compensate for the dark conditions by upping exposure and saturation. Any thoughts on that?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 6400, f7.1, 1/1600s, hand held

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Oh, they are just too cute, Allen. You did a fine job with the DOF as all the little ones are nice and sharp along with the mother. I like that you captured them down at their level it looks like. I don’t blame you for pointing your camera at that family of Wood ducks.

Proud Mama! Very cute.
Good DOF and comp.
Nice catch! I’ve never seen W Duck ducklings

Nothing much cuter than ducklings, Allen, and you have a great row of them along with a very proud looking mother who’s pretty cute herself. Nice job finding the angle and getting them all pretty much in the same plane.

These are so cute Allen. Great line up. Nice DOF to get them all nice and sharp.

I think this works just fine and is a lot of fun. If I remember right, I’ve only gotten a couple of photos of Woodies with ducklings, so congrats on this achievement. Recently I learned that if a female can’t find her own nest she will lay eggs in another’s and so that’s one reason you see Woodies with such large broods.

Allen: very good job of getting all the ducks sharp in your photo. Thanks for posting as I had never seen wood duck ducklings.