Mallard female and ducklings

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw this mallard female and ducklings at a neighborhood pond yesterday.
I tried going to the state park pond but a mower was working right by the water so the birds were gone. I came home and found these ducklings remembering a sighting tip from my wife the day before.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 4000, f7.1, 1/1250s, hand held

Processed in DXO PureRaw 3 and Photoshop.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Nice sense of movement (those guys bob like corks at this age) and that innate drive to stick so close to mom. Interesting to see ducklings so young at this time of year. They are basically little adults in Northern Wisconsin right now across most species. You caught them at their cutest though. The first stands out for how many babies we can see clearly, but the light in the second is warmer and has more directionality. Great pond you have to hand.

How cute are baby ducks!! Bobbing corks indeed! These are so well captured, tethered to mom, with lovely light and detail in all five of them. The light on the water is also lovely, with the reflections of the ducks and the green foliage. Excellent shooting and processing!

There always has to be one character in a group of ducklings-looking the opposite direction, giving you the eye, etc. These are all very good and of course the duckling cuteness factor puts them over the top.