How Should I crop this to save this image?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Looking for input on how to crop this image to make it visually appealing… I feel like I dropped the ball on this shot. I visualized the pano in my head, and it came out fairly close… However, I shot it on a 50mm prime lens with a 6 shot pano… I did not account for the pixel loss in stiching and my tripod was no where near level, so I cut off some key components to the composition… Can this image be saved with a crop??? Thank you​:call_me_hand::pray:

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Cropping / shooting / panoramic techniques.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
6 shot vertical panoramic shot on a Nikon D7000 with a Nikon 50mm prime f/11, ISO 100, 1/5 sec.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I’m not sure why you think this is a poor composition. I tried various crops and none seem to be better than what you’ve made. Having worked with it i’ve grown to appreciate it very much. I think it looks better on a light grey background however.

1 Like

This is quite interesting, and almost abstract. You might consider a crop from the left to a point just left of the pier of granite. It looks like you have bit of flare in the upper left corner that a crop would mostly eliminate. The processing actually looks really nice.
-P

1 Like

I think cropping the bottom and left would work. I’d crop the bottom until the soft cloudy water spray is gone. I’d try locking the aspect ratio to the current ratio first. Crop the left until it looks good.

1 Like

I actually think this turned out rather nicely, Mike. The blacks on the left do not appear to be as rich as the rest in the image so I think @Preston_Birdwell’s crop suggestion works nicely. This has some nice textures and details in the rock and your chosen SS worked well with the water. I have not done a lot of panos, but I have found it key that you need to be as level as possible so as not to lose a lot of pixels. It might be helpful to shoot more than you think you will need just in case you need to do a lot of cropping.

1 Like

Mike,

I like what you were trying to achieve but the left side of the image really missed the mark. It would need some serious work to bring it back such that it would equal the right side in quality. I considered a square crop just including the right side, but it loses to much to be effective. Sometimes its these hard lessons that teach us the most. I would chalk this one up to a learning moment.

1 Like

Mike,

I think this is excellent - a bit of a different and unique view, but I think successful. And I would think so without knowing the backstory. I can certainly appreciate the difficulties and can commiserate with the stitching… but again without knowing any of that, I think you came away with an excellent image. Don’t know about you, but I will most often (when I remember) try and take a wider angle view at f/16 - or so - just to get a single-shot backup (that sometimes even comes out better…) That way if the pano stitching doesn’t pan out, well, at least you have a good record.

The only suggestion I have would be a slight crop from the left. I do like the faint visibility of the water and texture on the left, but the dark right edge isn’t adding, at least I don’t think it is. This one doesn’t need to be saved - just a small tweak.

Lon

1 Like

Thank you very much Igor! I am going to try that now! Thank you!

Thank you Preston! This is what I am struggling with now, is processing. I tend to be very heavy handed!

Thanks Brad! I was playing around with that crop and really like it! Thank you!!

Thank you, and yes I actually picked up a little bubble level that attaches to the camera hot shoe off amazon for about 10$ we will see how that works when it arrives! Thank you!

Thank you very much Youssef, and I agree, I have already penciled in a date to go re-shoot this scene. The more I look at it, the more room I see for improvement! Thank you for the feedback!

Thank you very much Lon! And this is a great idea that I am going to start doing! And yes I feel like that crop is working best for me now! I really appreciate the feedback!!

Actually rather cool and unique; you definitely didn’t drop the ball. The two flows are very compelling. My only thought echoes what Lon said, a slight crop off the left.