hummingbird paradise # 2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Prefocused and waited for a bird to arrive and feed (or drink) from the iris after a rain.

Specific Feedback

I know the focus is not perfect and more NR would improve the image but I want to post this along with yesterday’s post because freezing the water droplet and the act of drinking from the flower was so unusual.

Technical Details

Nikon Z9, 100-400mm + 1.4 TC
540mm
ISO 12800
1/6400 sec
f/8

2 Likes

I love this photo, Daniel! The first thing I noticed, after the hummingbird, were those water droplets falling off the flowers. Really beautiful capture! Yeah, it would have been nice if the hummingbird was facing a little more towards the camera but I still think it’s a really great action shot!

A very cool image, Dan. I really like the action and the water. I agree that the focus could be better. If you have enough light, you might stop down a bit to try for better focus on the hummingbird. I do find the highlights in the background irises a bit distracting. If you could find one with a clean background or temporarily bend over the background flowers a bit I think it would make your subject flower and hummer stand out even better.

I agree with your critique. Unfortunately, that cluster of iris has had it’s day. I may have to wait until next year for another opportunity. I will look thru the files and see if there is one that can be cleaned up a bit in PS. However, I do really like the combination of hummer, iris and water drops and even though I knew the image was flawed, wanted to share it.

A great idea and well worth posting – you might find a different flower and have some luck. Put a bit of sugar water in a flower and they will find it. Best of luck next year!!

Lovely purple!

My guess the subject is the hummer - hence would like to see a slightly different angle . As nice as the purple is, I do find it a bit distracting here