Hummingbird with crocosmia

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

from my bedroom window

Specific Feedback

Cloudy but bright

Technical Details

iso 2000, 500mm plus 1.4X, f9, 2000th, Nikon D500

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

Hi David, nice pose you caught on the hummingbird. Looks like a selection was made and some kind of replacement or similar was done. The selection and processing as such looks off a good bit. I’d take another look at the processing on this one especially since the pose and flower are so nice.

This is not a composit.This is the original and I can provide the original if you wish…The only proscessing was sharpening and red saturation reduction.

David, if you wish. Up to you. Thanks.

Hard to beat a hummingbird at a flower. I like the pose and the flowers, though could see some desaturation of the background.

I had crocosmia growing less than 10 feet from my bedroom window between 2-1- and 2008. The majority of the blooms take place in july,
i will stand at the open window and photograph through it with a telephoto mounted on s tripod although before I was ill, I was able to hand hold.
I many not be the best avian photographer but I do take pride in my workI try to use as much integrity as possible. I am honest and believe too much manipulation is not acceptable. and that would include pasting a subject in a scene. It just isn’t right! I stand by my my statement that this is the original image.
I spent several hours going through at least 14 had drives and could not locate the original. No one has ever suggested that I have done this before. So I was rather upset that you implied that I did this, Although I agree with you that it would be easy to do especially with the new AI tools.

I have many hard drives but have also had 4 or 5 hard drives that have failed. I plan to keep my eyes open if I do come across the original.

Over the last three years, I have been quite ill and now find myself with Parkinsons disease which appears to be rapidly advancing. My mobility is very limited. Much of my time is spent resting and going to medical appointments, certainly not what I had envisioned, For the first 2 years of this illness I was unable to sit down but I had some treatments that now allow me to sit for short periods of time, *really want to go out and photograph birds but my mobility issues make it difficult.
I am unable to carry my own gear. Yes, Dennis is helping me at times as so much has changed in the last two years . So I have a lot of relearning to do…
I just thought you might want to know. I have found several similar images and will send them too you when I have the time.
David Schoen

David,
I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this illness. I was not implying that you did something ethically wrong with processing the image whether a replacement was done or not. I was just giving my honest evaluation that something seemed off (with selections) in the image. That is purely my opinion.

David, to clarify, I put arrows to the areas that raised my concern.
Hope this helps.

All l can remember is that there was stuff behind the flower similar to what is beiow the flower on the upper left. I was just sloppy in trying to clean it up. So l understand that your concern.