Hunter Liggett Valley Lupines

Mid April was the time to visit Fort Hunter Liggett for the flower displays. Their intensity varied from year to year so you never knew what you would see once you arrived. This was not a particular wet year but I managed to find a group of them and used a wide format to make it look as thought there was more than there was. Not one of my best but it’s been hiding for years so I might as well show it.

I’m really taken with this, Igor. I haven’t been to Hunter Liggett in over 40 years, and I don’t recall any wildflowers to speak of on those visits. But your treatment makes me want to go back and soon. I’d say that’s a fair measurement of your success.

In fact this is most effective for me because there’s green space among the flowers and especially in the background. It sets off the forms and clusters of flowers in the array, while certainly accenting those great blues. Well done!

1 Like

Wow, Igor, this is an amazing collection of Lupines. The bit of forest at the top adds nicely to the scene. This looks fine to me.

1 Like

Igor,

A lovely and serene image. Good job on the use of the wide format to give the viewer that look of an expansive field of flowers. Great entry, although I’d say that Bill’s paintbrush outnumber your lupine by at least 3:1… :smiley: Of course that doesn’t matter…

The only critique/suggestion I have, if I may, would be to drop the cyan quite a bit in the tree trunks up top. I think that’s pretty picky, but I was made to think of this from a time when I sent a file to PhotoCraft to have printed. It was of some poppies and an oak tree that I was having a print made from. One of the staff called me up to ask me if I wanted to edit my file and resubmit - the reason, they pointed out the oak tree trunks in the background were decidedly cyan and I was given a chance to correct before they printed. Anyway, that’s one reason why I find myself looking at those fine details. then again, if you never decide to print this, then… never mind.

I like the crop/narrow format as well.

Lon

Igor: In Texas we call these bluebonnets but regardless of the label they’re beautiful. Nice find and a fine capture.>=))>

A lovely field of lupines, Igor. It may not have been a great season, but they look very healthy. I like the way the composition implies the sense that this is just one corner of a much wider field of flowers looking out.

Igor, your title caught my eye, but had to do a double take :wink: I really enjoy the rich blue/green theme you did with the color. But at the same time it made the tree trunks too far toward cyan. However, if it were mine I would consider maintaining the cooler palette but crop from the top, probably just below the darker patch of grass by the large trunk. In my opinion the inclusion of those trees and bushes just makes it feel cut off. And a crop would make it simpler and to me more appealing.

A nice spread, Igor. I like your choice of ’ horizon ’ line, with the glimpse of the woods beyond.