Hyperspace

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Upper Michigan was snowless until the 12th of January this year. Highly unusual for a place that can end up with upwards of 120 inches of snow a winter. In December, before the snow fell I was driving on day just after Christmas. I came across an area where the temperature had dropped and the fog in the air had condensed just onto the trees but the ground was still snowless. I found this stand of aspen trees with my drone. I looked for a uniform spot to frame in the trees. I have a lot of trouble finding compositions i like with bare trees, but this reminded me of driving in a snowstorm, or going to hyperspace in Star Wars. I did take some other shots where there were some other trees that did not fit into this pattern, but i liked the uniform one the best.

Specific Feedback

Compositional. How well does the pattern work?

Technical Details

Taken with a DJI Mini 3. 1/320 sec f/1.7 ISO 100. edited in lightroom.

2 Likes

Cameron,
The pattern works beautifully and I think you nailed the composition and title perfectly as hyperspace was my first thought when I saw this. Beautifully done!

1 Like

So do I! The wide-angle distortion adds to the pattern of the trees radiating out – a wonderful idea that you pulled off very well! I love the uniformity!

1 Like

This is a great perspective Cameron. You nailed the hyperspace theme here. Looks great!

1 Like

@Cameron_Wilcox the title got my attention, and yup, the image lived up to it. I think you have it right. The uniform nature of the shot really works. I think a different type of tree in the frame would be a distraction, not an addition. Well done thinking through what you wanted and pulling it off.

1 Like

thank you @Ed_Lowe @Ed_Williams @Diane_Miller and @patrick6! I appreciate the kind words.