I have my eye on you!

Majestic teenager great white doing a drive by. This was taken from cage at Guadalupe Isle, Mexico with a Canon 1Ds Mark II, 33mm (17-40mm zoom), f/5.6, ISO 200, available light.

IG @KeithFlood

1 Like

Looks like quite an experience, Keith. The top of the head and nose look just a touch soft while the teeth and fin look sharp. Is that motion blur?

1 Like

The shutter was 1/160th which should have been adequate. I was shooting continuous and as the shark got closer, it’s eye moved off the focus point unfortunately. Somewhere between the “photographer” and the 2004 focusing system, let me down :wink:

Keith: Glad to hear you were in a cage and not being sized up for lunch :scream:. I like the pose and implied motion. A touch more room in front of the shark would suit me a little better but this works well for me as is. Nicely done.>=))>

1 Like

Thanks, Bill. I agree and wish I could do that same shot over, maybe someday! As a side note, the biggest takeaway after this experience was realizing just how smart, deliberate and cautious these animals are. They have had millennia to evolve and they are a nearly perfectly adapted animal. I also realized that they don’t eat 24/7 so it was nice for them just to cruise by, not sure if it was just out of curiosity or they had other thoughts on their mind.

That would be rather unnerving to have one of those staring at me from that close! Nice capture! Looking at the large version, I’m thinking a tad bit of extra contrast might make it pop a bit more and make it look more 3D.

1 Like