I need help identifying this duck

This photograph was taken at Rocky Heck State Park, Ct on Feb 11, a 10:54 AM. Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, Canon 100-500mm & 1.4ext, f10, 700mm, ISO 1250. The shot was cropped by 55% and I adjusted the exposure, shadows and contrast in DXO Photo Lab 5.

Hi Peter, I think it’s a male Gadwell.

Great image by the way.

I agree that it’s a male gadwall in breeding plumage. Only the male’s have black beaks. And I believe that’s Rocky Neck. I used to go there when I was a kid living in New Haven in the mid-50s.

It looks like a male gadwall to me, at least like the birds we see in Europe. The female has a very different plumage. This image shows both male and female.

Hi David Bostock, David Shoen & Han
I went through my two birding books and the closest I came to naming the duct was a gadwall, having never seen one before I wasn’t convinced.
Thanks
Peter

Nice pose captured of the gadwall and the surrounding colors seem complimentary to me too. Nice placement of subject in the frame. Bird appears soft. Can you tell us the shutter speed?

There’s a subtle beauty to Gadwall’s that you’ve nicely capture. The background works well with the bird’s colors.

Hi Allen Sparks & Allen Brooks
Thank you of the comments, the shutter speed was 1/2000 and I tock an other look at the shot and couldn’t make any sharper.
Peter