I need Id help. Is this a female Mallard or Mottled Duck?

Image Description

Th shot this photograph at Rocky Neck State Park on March 16, at 10:15 AM. The ducks had the park to them selfs.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

any

Technical Details

Canon R%, Canon 100-500mm & 1.4ext, f10, 700mm, +1EV, 1/1600, ISO 6,400. The shot is cropped by 44% and I adjusted the saturation in DXO Photo Lab 6.

A nice detailed shot of the duck and I like the environmental aspect as well. The background colors blend in well with the duck. I ran this through the Merlin App and it came up with American Black Duck. A male. Given you’re in Connecticut this seems more likely than Mottled which is more restricted to Florida and Texas.

I agree with Merlin on the ID, Peter. Black duck certainly looks closest in my references. Mottled would be my second, but their normal range seems to make it unlikely. Excellent image quality and good composition. I love the dry vegetation except that one long stem that crosses behind the bill.

Hi Peter, glad you got your ID - I had no clue. Nice look at this duck with some interesting vegetation. I think bringing the highlights down some would help especially the grass right behind the duck’s body. Also agree with taking out the grass stem running behind the bird’s bill. I rarely see this species down here so seeing this is a treat.

HI Allen B., Dennis’s & Allen P.
Thank you for the help with idenfying this duck as a Black Buck. Cloning is not a strong part of DXO Photo Lab, but here goes.
Peter

Looks like the cloning worked very nicely, Peter. I don’t detect it.